Renovotec blog #27
This is one of an occasional series of blogs that explore how a mobile enterprise solution can streamline different aspects of the supply chain (e.g. manufacturing, retail, warehousing, distribution etc.)
In previous blogs (19, 22 and 25), I’ve taken a look at how mobile enterprise solutions can transform manufacturing, warehousing and distribution operations. Another area where they can make a significant difference is in retail operations. Inevitably, this mainly involves Point of Sale (PoS) activities.
Keeping the customer satisfied
One of the primary focuses of any successful retailer lies in providing an excellent level of customer service. This involves having operations that are fast, reliable and accurate. You’ll also need tight control over your expenditure whilst striving to increase your profitability. This is where mobile computing and automated data collection can add real value to the retailer – by boosting your efficiency and reducing your costs from the warehouse right through to the point of sale.
We can help you to source the most suitable handheld hardware – from smartphones, barcode scanners and imagers, and personal digital assistants (PDAs) through to mobile computers, tablet and mobile printers.
We’ve also developed a range of useful software modules. As mentioned in a previous blog, our electronic proof of delivery (ePoD) app can prove invaluable for tracking and tracing products from the warehouse through to the point of delivery. We also provide software that will enable you to streamline your stock control, inventory and asset management operations.
Automated data capture in practice
Prior to Spirit being acquired by Renovotec in early 2019, we had built up a wealth of retail clients, and had helped to streamline a wide range of operations. Following the acquisition, we intend to build on this strong foundation and deliver even more powerful solutions to our customers.
A few examples of the companies we’ve been helped over the years can be seen by a quick glance through the sample case studies on our website.
For instance, Selfridges has been using sophisticated barcode imagers at its PoS operations for many years. When it decided to upgrade its handheld devices in its London and Manchester stores, it asked us to help, as we had previously been working closely with the company for some years. Selfridges was looking for devices that would be rugged but comfortable to use, reliable and accurate. We recommended Honeywell high-performance barcode scanners, which were connected to the company’s ePoS system, and enabled users to scan barcodes from different suppliers from across the world. Click here to read the case study.
Another key customer was Clarks, the global leader in ‘everyday footware’. The company has been using our services for nearly 15 years. We’ve sourced many devices in that time, including Honeywell and Zebra rugged 2D barcode scanners, which are used at the Point of Sale. These have resulted in even faster and more accurate scanning, which helped Clarks to maintain its reputation for excellent customer service. Click here to read the case study.
The final example is Jewson: we supplied the company with handheld terminals for managing sales, and for inventories and stock taking. We provided mobile computers that Jewson’s customers could use when picking products from the company’s outlets. Many of these products are stored outside in the yard or warehouse, so the units had to be usable in demanding conditions. The mobile computers have transformed the customer ordering process. Click here to read the case study.
These are just a few of the examples of how a powerful mobile enterprise solution can enhance the retail process, leading to more satisfied customers. Click here to look at other case studies that might interest you.
Benefits of automated data capture
Typical benefits that can be enjoyed by retailers include:
- Our solutions will help to speed up your processes, improving your overall efficiency.
- Automating retail processes leads to higher productivity and profitability.
- Smoother, faster and more reliable processes help to boost customer satisfaction.
- Our hardware and software enable you to eliminate manual errors, leading to more reliable stock records.
- Streamlining your operations also leads to lower costs and a tighter control over expenditure.
- Our solutions can integrate with your warehouse management system to enable you to control your stock flow more effectively.
According to The Retail Mutual, shoppers are more comfortable buying a product from a fairly empty shelf, as it means that many other people have also bought it.
- The oldest recorded complaint from a customer was found on a 4,000 year-old clay tablet in Mesopotamia, in which a man called Nanni complained to a merchant named Ea-Nasir that he had sold him inferior copper ingots.
- For a few years, Selfridges had the world’s largest shoe department, with over 4,000 pairs on show and more than 100,000 pairs in stock at any time. However, it was overtaken by Macy’s of New York, with an area of 39,000 square feet, boasting 280,000 pairs of shoes!
- Forbes has reported that over 90% of customers will stop dealing with a company after they’ve had three (or fewer) bad experiences.
- A recent study suggested that 76% of consumers have a better in-store experience if retail sales personnel are equipped with suitable technology.
To find out more about how our solutions could help to streamline your retail operations, just give us a call.
Author: Geoff Littler – Chief Technical Officer